CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jake Shields - "I'd Definitely Have A Good Shot (Against GSP)"


(photo courtesy of CombatLifestyle)


Elite XC’s first ever, (and current) welterweight champion Jake Shields made time in his busy schedule last Friday for a short chat with Fight Network Radio hosts John Pollock and Mauro Ranallo (who joined the show via phone patch). Shields has been a hot topic in the fight industry over the past week, due in part to rumblings about potential fights with John “The Natural” Alessio in an upcoming Elite XC show and even a middleweight showdown against Matt “The Law” Lindland in upstart organization Affliction’s second show. Shields addressed those subjects, as well as answering questions regarding his teammate Nick Diaz and the state of the welterweight division in Elite XC, in this candid interview.


John Pollock got things rolling by mentioning the big issue of the day, the cancellation of an Elite XC show that was to be held on September 20th in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Earlier in the show, Mauro Ranallo called in to the show from California to break the news. There was little information known at the time, and even Shields sounded surprised by the announcement. Regarding an upcoming fight, Shields had this to say:


“I’m not 100% sure when I’m going to fight right now. This is the first time I’ve heard that event was cancelled on the 20th. I had been training for it because I thought that was a ‘maybe’. So it looks like that fight is off (against Alessio). But I’m interested to see what’s going on”.


Speculation had run rampant in various MMA media outlets that Shields was approached as a possible opponent for highly ranked middleweight Matt “The Law” Lindland in Affliction’s next event in Las Vegas, scheduled for this October. While not directly alluding to talks with Affliction, Shields did admit, “We have a few good offers on the table; we’re trying to sort it out. In the next couple of days probably, we’ll know hopefully”. He elaborated on some terms with his Elite XC contract, which does not forbid fighting in other organizations, he believes, but with permission from Elite XC. Apart from that, Elite XC understandably has priority over the other organizations with the option to override potential fights in those organizations.


Addressing the issue of moving up to middleweight, Shields clarified he would only do so for a fight at a time. He shared, “I look at myself as a welterweight and that’s where I want to stay. But I’m also just looking for fights that really excite me and things that will do something for me. And if going up a weight class for a fight excites me, then I’ll do it for a fight. I certainly don’t ever plan on going to middleweight and staying there; it’s not a comfortable weight”. But he grew animated upon mentioning potential matchups at 185 pounds, naming Frank Shamrock, Matt Lindland, and Frank Trigg as fighters he would be interested in facing. “I’d love a really good chance to move up fifteen pounds and fight one of those guys and see how I do”.


Currently the kingpin of Elite XC’s welterweight division, Shields was asked for his opinion on the relatively limited options Elite XC provided him with regards to opponents. Pollock likened Shields to a “big fish in a small pond”. Although profuse in his praise for his home organization, Shields acknowledged, “It’s really frustrating. I love Elite XC; they treat me good. It’s a great show; it’s someone I want to keep fighting for but it would be nice to get an opportunity to go test myself against some bigger opponents, different weights. Obviously, there are some really good welterweights out there that still can test me at Elite XC. I think Alessio is still a really tough fight; I wouldn’t look past him at all. Really, I’m fighting because I love it and I want to test myself. If the tests aren’t there, it’s hard to stay motivated”.


Shield’s ascent to the Top Ten rankings in the welterweight division (in many MMA insider’s opinions, Shields is a Top 3 fighter) have long had fans discussing a possible match-up with Georges St. Pierre, the UFC’s current welterweight champion and arguably number one in the Top Ten ranking. Earlier in the week, Fight Network Radio hosted an interview with Firas Zahabi, one of St. Pierre’s trainers. In the interview, Ranallo recalled, Zahabi said of a St. Pierre-Shields fight that Shields wasn’t at St. Pierre’s level yet. Shields took no offense, and good naturedly said, “That’s GSP’s trainer so of course, he’d better be saying that. My trainers better say the same for me!” He went on to say, “I think GSP looked phenomenal in the last few fights. It certainly wouldn’t be an easy fight for me but I think I’m feeling really good right now and I’d definitely have a good shot. But we won’t know until it happens and hopefully it’ll be something that can happen within a year or so. Who know with all the politics right now but I’m just trying to train my ass off and fight good and look good in all my fights and if that keeps happening, the fight will be forced to happen at some point”.


The topic shifted to Shield’s teammate, top lightweight contender Nick Diaz. MMA fans have been eagerly anticipating a rematch between Diaz and Elite XC lightweight champion KJ Noons since Noons defeated Diaz due to cuts in November of 2007. Tension between Diaz and Noons gradually came to a head during a heated confrontation that culminated in a mini-brawl between both camps after Noons defended his belt against Yves Edwards in June of this year. Mauro Ranallo asked Shields on the status of a rematch between his close friend and teammate Diaz and Noons. Shields had some strong words about the issue.


“I’m actually not 100% sure (about the rematch). I haven’t talked to Nick in a week or so. I believe they were trying to make that fight happen on the September 20th (New Mexico show). But I don’t know 100%. I think that’s what happened. I don’t think KJ wants any part of it. I think KJ is doing everything he can to avoid the fight. In my opinion if you’re the champion, you fight whom the organization throws in front of you, who the #1 fighter is or you get stripped. He should either fight Nick or get stripped. He’s (Nick) the #1 contender. If KJ doesn’t have the balls to fight him, then he has no business being a champion”.


As the interview came to a close, Shields spoke about the uproar the Diaz and Noons’ after-fight altercation caused in the fight industry. He opined, “I think everyone’s freaked out over a little brawl. They forget what our sport is; our sport is fighting. You get into little fights in fighting. It may not be great (for the sport) but is it really that big of a deal? I don’t think it is; we’re fighters. Occasionally, especially right after a fight, emotions are running high; things get said, especially when our adrenaline is going. It’s what we’re trained to do. It shouldn’t be a surprise if a little fight breaks out at weigh-ins, or the press conference or a fight or something. It’s what we’re trained to do”. Ranallo brought up comparisons to the recent Brock Lesnar-Heath Herring showboating incident at UFC 87 and shared his belief that MMA needs fighters like Nick Diaz. Shields agreed, saying, “Exactly; it helps tell the sport. People make it out to be a bad thing but if it’s bringing attention to it, I don’t know why it’s bad. Like I said, we’re trained athletes. When it’s not quite fight time, it’s not really that big of a deal (confrontations). It’s not like assault on an untrained person. It’s a completely different situation”.


While quelling rumors about his bright future in the fight industry and in Elite XC, many will be waiting for updates about Shields’ and his next move. However, no matter what his next fight may be, Elite XC’s newsworthy welterweight champion will be captivating MMA fans again soon.

0 comments: