CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year, 'Klinchers!


(photo courtesy of Misty's Photostream)


I wish I could say that 2008 was an awesome year for me, but that wasn't the case. However, I'm confident that 2009 will be a success and I won't accept anything less from it.


The year started off incredibly promising. I graduated college (finally) with my degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Management. I capitalized on my goal to make a name for myself (or at least a sustaining career) in the tourism industry and I decided to start in Las Vegas. I packed my twenty billion bags (yes, that many) and headed to the City of Sin with $200 in my savings and $60,000 of debt in student loans. I thought I could make some money and put a dent in that debt. However, the downturn in the economy had already begun to show and by the time my positive self arrived here in May, there weren't many potential jobs to be found.


I made ends meet with odd jobs here and there before finding what I believed was a diamond in the rough. Out of respect, I won't name the company, but I became their resident "Onsite Corporate Administrator" or in simpler terms, their Director of Human Resources. I was stoked, believing I'd hit the jackpot. Not only did the company seem stable, but it was trendy and the people seemed awesome. Well, most of the people. I soon realized I was grossly underpaid for the amount of work I was doing. After being run roughshod with duties and developing an extreme dislike for many of the higher-ups, it was time to part ways with the company. 5 months of misery and I didn't save a dime. But I did get a pretty awesome boyfriend during my duration at that hellhole ;)


I moved on to yet another odd job and now here I am, at the beginning of the year. I've got interview after interview lined up and I'm confident I'll find something that fits a wayward soul like me. Now as long as I can keep blogging while I work, I'm all good! So, cheers to 2009 and f*ck you very much, 2008!

0 comments: